Prosecution appealing unanimous acquittal of B.C. police officers trapped in Cuba: family
After five judges acquitted the two B.C. police officers trapped in Cuba earlier this month, the men’s families have issued a statement saying, “we have learned that the prosecution is appealing the unanimous decision of the judges,” and that “the nightmare is not yet over.”
November 29, 2018 By Staff
Const. Mark Simms and Const. Jordan Long have been unable to leave Cuba since mid-March, after criminal accusations were made against them by a 17 year-old Canadian girl.
The statement goes on to say, “we have been advised that appealing a verdict is common procedure in Cuba,” and that “timelines are unclear, and as such, we have no idea when to expect our beloved Jordan and Mark to be able to return to their families, friends, communities and jobs.”
The families said they expect the very highest levels of the Government of Canada to take action and work collaboratively with Cuban authorities to expedite the process and bring Simms and Long home.
“We also look forward to a prompt OPCC (Office of the Police Complaint Commissioner) investigation so that the truth of this matter can be fully revealed to Canadian authorities and the Canadian public. Our thoughts are with genuine victims of sexual assault whose experiences are undermined by false accusations such as this.”
The families said they hope to have the officers home to celebrate Christmas.
RELATED STORY: “Two B.C. constables trapped in Cuba in critical need of justice”
Print this page